Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Illustrations and Era's


The New Hat
I've used a grid per say...meaning, kind of mapping it out. Yes, I understand the hands being proportionate to the body...and, I actually can draw hands well....it is painting them which throws me. I love doing faces, and hair, and clothing, and even feet....but "painting" hands is where I am practicing and needing practice.

Faces...hmmm...that is where it is fun. I also like some whimsy in my pieces....
.

After thinking about this....as we have been talking about our art...I think I would best describe myself as a mixed media illustrator. However, because I do other types of artwork too, such as paintings and intricate lace, I guess illustrator would not be my only title.

I love creating mixed media illustrations especially faces...and portraying different eras and cultures....with an array of textiles and fashions...the first one above being from the late 20's-early 30's.


Look At My Flowers!


Bubbles and Sweet Face
I also enjoy drawing children...they are so fun!!

You're an Angel!



Oh, Little One

Power Of  A Teddy

 
Art is so much fun...very theraputic...but I also thought that maybe at least some of my art would be sold, some place. It is fun to do, like I said, but it is disheartening when it seems like all the work  put into showing it....does no good. I am blessed when people say they like it. However, if that is as far as it goes...then, well, that is as far as it goes. sigh

11 comments:

  1. Dude, is this your actual painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks OK to me :)
    My confession - I can not just imagine things then draw them...I need to have photo to copy from...or find someone to pose...:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I am not a dude, but it is my painting...all of it. I love painting and drawing textiles...with varying textures...like the hat and the shear lace and etc.....but isn't the hand too small?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am her "dude" haha :)...we just like to call us names...sometimes "sis" or "bruh" (in short for bruha)...just silly names LOL :))

    You paint textiles great...so detailed :) OW yes...that's it then you should make your hands proportional to the whole body...if it was from a photo I will make a grid :) Isn't the left hand here (holding the necklace) should be all closed fingers except for the thumb?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the hands look fine and suit your style of work. I find that if I try to paint too much detail, that's when I come unstuck. The suggestion is always better than the realism for me... Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you...well, drawing hands...like when I draw lace, is fine. But when I paint, I have a harder time with the detail, then I do with pen and ink...or pencil. Painting is not my favorite, and the reason being the lack of sufficent (to me) detail...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Therese, I do appreciate your suggestion...personally, the hands are terrible and not defined, like the majority of my work is...so, maybe I should have been more specific...about wanting advice about painting hands...since, to me, painting is harder to do the detail work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmmm so painting is really harder than drawing ha...

    Your style is very unique...your technique is flawless...the way you draw lines and curves and paint every detail of it is so even, precise and accurately done...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Ann....you are very gracious!! I usually find that it is a lil more challenging to do the detail work with a brush.....which is why I usually have a mixed media approach to most of the work I do...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the "Entertaining Angels' a WIP?...i LOVE the dress but I think, based on your style, you can do a lot more on the wings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I know I can...but just have other things I wanted to work on more....Thanx about the dress...the "fabric" was taken from one of my other paintings... (WIP?)?

      Delete